Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Which method should I choose? (DB 10gR2, Solaris 10)
Which method should I choose? [message #308122] Fri, 21 March 2008 05:34 Go to next message
trantuananh24hg
Hi all!

I have two machines, both of them are V890, Sparc. And now, one is the new machine with new Oracle Server and DB. The purpose I want is:
- Bring the Database VNP in Machine1 to the Database in Machine2.
- The Database VNP has full backup right now by RMAN
- The Database VNP is in archive log mode

And I am wondering about the method:
1/ Export entire of Database VNP and import into the new DB in machine2

or

2/ Using RMAN to restore all of datafile into the new DB in machine2. However, I've ever not used this method.

Would you like to guide me?

Thank you very much!
Re: Which method should I choose? [message #308124 is a reply to message #308122] Fri, 21 March 2008 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
With 263 posts is this the best you can do for a title?
The purpose of the title is to easily and rapidly ascertain the object of the topic and, for future readers, if it is related to his/her problem.
What can you deduce from a title like "Which method should I choose?"?

There is a very nice answer to your question in a topic titled "need help" or "please help", I don't remember exactly.

Regards
Michel
Re: Which method should I choose? [message #308256 is a reply to message #308122] Sat, 22 March 2008 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

Read about disaster recovery. It is in Backup and Recovery Advanced user's guide.
Re: Which method should I choose? [message #308896 is a reply to message #308256] Tue, 25 March 2008 21:00 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
I am sorry for my carless point. In this topic, the way I were wondered is that my target DB using Physical Standby. And so, let me describe more:

- 2 DB's machine runs with one Primary, and one is Physical Standby. Machine 1 is Primary and machine 2 is Physical Standby
- 1 DB's machine is new. Machine 3

(All of them are Sparc V890, Solaris 10 and Oracle 10gR2).

I just wanted to move all of data from machine 1 to machine 2 for the maintenace purpose. However, somthing made me wonder:

- If I move data from machine 1 to machine 3, and I'll configure it using physical standby's machine 2, what is the way should I choose, RMAN or Import/Export? This step, I did it, I used RMAN.

- I've not ever backup data guard model but only primary DB. Is it right if only backup Primary?

Thank you!

Previous Topic: Tablespace Maxextents and Table Maxextents
Next Topic: enable auditing ,startup hang
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 19:23:02 CDT 2024