Re: Creating/Moving datafiles on Networked Drives?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 21:28:53 GMT

"Tom" <tom_colson_at_ncsu.edu> wrote in message news:b7654ba0.0405021312.568e0e8f_at_posting.google.com...
> I'll admit right off, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it
> comes to Oracle...anyway...
>
> We're "evaluating" 9i, rel 2, installing it on a fresh server. The
> point of this evaluation is to see if we can install the Oracle DB
> here in the lab, and have the actual data reside "somewhere else" (in
> a department that actually has the money to maintain and BU a SAN).
> This mystery department has given us access to TB's of disk space, but
> the only way we can get to it is via mapped NW drives, over the campus
> fibre BB. So during the DB creation wizard for dummies process, I've
> tried telling it to make the datafiles on this networked drive. Not
> happening. So in enterprise manager, I've tried making a new datafile
> on the networked drive. Not happening. Tried UNC and drive letter. Not
> happening. I can, however, move and create datafiles all day long on
> the local drive. Now...I'm sure that Oracle, and the rest of you
> DBA's, have figured out how to make Oracle work in a SNA
> environment....anyone want to share the wealth of knowledge? And...for
> those of you that are going to reply "call your Oracle DBA....", I AM
> the (reluctant and unwilling)Oracle DBA. THis is state gov't baby!
> Efficiency at its best!
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> Tom Colson,
> North Carolina State University

Don't. It is not supported to have Oracle data files on a network drive. A SAN or a NetAPP Filer is a different beast than a networked drive. SAN and Net App drives really do look like local drives to the OS and to Oracle and you create Oracle data files on them in the same manner you do local direct attached storage. (no secret incantations) There is probably someway to "fool" Oracle into thinking a network drive is local, but I wouldn't. (and it isn't because I desire to hide the knowledge from you)

Think of it this way. Lets say you succeed with this unsupported configuration and it becomes unstable? Now what? Is it Oracle's fault? No, but the mystery department will blame it on the db. Maybe they could lend you a server that this huge amount of storage is connected to directly. Jim Received on Sun May 02 2004 - 16:28:53 CDT