Re: Index management

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 May 2004 15:17:42 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<40979aeb$0$4547$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
>
> > I think this extreme ignores the reality that so many "typical
> > business systems" will still have times of batch processing. Even
> > with multiple, er, streams, of batches, whatever scheduling algorithm
> > is used will hopefully allow some chunks of time for each.
>
> <brain-storming>
> Yeah, but is that still a determining factor? I mean, maybe we should
> ignore fine tuning of batch and go all out for an even I/O performance
> across the board? Much simpler to keep going, no?
>

> > The idea is to account for common possibilities. SAME may be ok for
> > high-transactional times, but I think the allocation optimisation this
> > thread is talking about may make some difference during "other" times.
>
> Well, I think the thread is saying very clearly that index-level clustering
> and other "defrag" techniques are not that important as soon as multi-user
> is involved. Which is the vast majority of the time. Should we really bother
> with the odd "other" conditions? Does it really gain us much anymore?
> </brain-storming>

Well, since those conditions are often prerequisite to the ones where the Big Bosses are staring at their lackeys and impatiently tapping their fingers, it gains in the "business requirements" arena.

> > I'd rather have the tools to optimizer multiple layers for different
> > possible configurations, _and have the tools work together_. This
> > "trust us, we're experts" stuff from Oracle and MS is condescending
> > crap inevitably leading to stuff like NT defragmentation and
> >
> http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=BUG&p_id=3455402
> > We've seen over and over again that increasing the number and depth of
> > abstraction layers with the hope that Moore's law will bail us out
> > leads to putting stuff in the wrong layers.
>

> Amen!
> The problem is of course how to find a middle ground...
>

> > > a decade, when it first appeared in Sybase. I'm not sure it means anything
> > > in a NTFS environment where physical allocation is all over the place unless
> > > one takes precautions? Or with any modern SAN?
> >
> > I think predictive read-ahead could mean a lot in a modern SAN.
>
> Used to think so but not so sure nowadays. The SAN knows remarkably
> little about the db structure and allocation strategy. With something
> like ASM (or any SQL Server equivalent in future) it can all go horribly
> wrong. If "intelligence" is to be added in terms of predictive behaviour,
> I'd rather it was applied in one place only: either the SAN or the db.
> Mixing two "intelligences" is a recipe for disaster IME.
>
> Not sure yet what Oracle's recommendation on ASM is gonna be, but
> I suspect they'll eventually ask anyone relying on it to turn off
> all the "intelligent" bits everywhere else.

I'd hope they'd allow something like hints to keep the benefits of everywhere else. Or even communication between everywhere else and ASM. jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040504/news_1b4ipo.html