Re: Index management

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:32:09 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:409a7d5e$0$32558$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

> > On the other hand naming quotes lends credence to the fact that these
ideas
> > *are* real and are in circulation.
>
> Kowing certain of those authors' propensity to fire off "I'll be suing
> you" emails at the drop of a hat (and never quite managing to actually
> do so), I thought it was a bit brave of Richard, too, actually. But if
> they didn't have names attached, you'd never believe they were ever
> really uttered, but were just some horrors Richard had knocked up
> himself -precisely as you suggest here. It is also educational to know
> which Oracle "experts" are best avoided.
>
> So in the end, I thought what he did was necessary and appropriate.

Well, I certainly thought it was appropriate. I don't think one can or should cast doubt on the validity of a 548 slide presentation/seminar on the basis of a few quotes. I prefer to let the content speak for itself.

As far as avoiding experts goes, I can only think of one really well known name that I shudder when I discover that they have produced something new - and I don't feel good with myself for doing that much either - and that in the end is less to do with the quality of the content (though that quality can be shocking) as with the unprofessional attitude evidenced in the way they deal with other members of the Oracle community. As always YMMV.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA