Re: Problem In oracle8i installation

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 05:37:01 GMT

Saket wrote:

> Thanx HJR.
>
> yes i have not set any kernel parameters except for the one i have
> mentioned. so could u plz help me on what else i need to set. also plz
> mention what i hav to do to with my distribution. I downloaded this
> package from the oracle site on the net.

He already has - he pointed you to a very good web site that contains an excellent document on installation. You, apparently in your hurry to abbreviate everything, seem to have bypassed that advice.

Yes - 9i advice IS relevant to 8i. You just need to be smart and read the documentation as well.

> Actually need to use oracle 8i coz we already hav a production
> databsae running on oracle 8, and need to develop some programms using
> OCI.

Really?

You deliberately want to go into production with new code based on something that will be formally obsolete within 9 months?

Is there a particularily good reason you can't use 9i and set the 'Compatibility' parameter?

Who made such a decision? Someone "informed", or possibly someone being 'politically astute'? Or is the organization just looking for an excuse to use unsupported software?

/Hans Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 00:37:01 CDT