Re: PL/SQL performance question

From: x <x_at_x.hr>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:29:21 +0200

> Just out of curiosity, I'd like to get your opinion on the following
> scenario:
> Lots of data (i.e. 2 million records) are periodically loaded into the db
> through SQL Loader. Unfortunately, each record needs to be tweaked before
> will eventually be saved. Would it be faster to have an on-insert trigger
do
> this at record level or to have a procedure that will run once all records
> are stored in the table?

If you load 2 million of records periodically, I wouldn't call it lots of data.

As chris pointed, if you use triggers you won't be able to use direct load. My expirience is that direct load+procedure is faster than conventional load+trigger. Of course, this really depends on what your procedure/trigger does.

Perl isn't bad idea also.

Anyway, loading 2 mil. records periodically, whatever you chose, should work fine. Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 03:29:21 CDT