Recovery simulation

From: willy_gates <willy_gates_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:08:50 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I am testing hot backup and recovery.

My manager is a bit unhappy about oracles redo log. I wonder if anything you lot can say will placate him.

When I originally purchaced Oracle over SQL/Sybase/Postgres I said that it supported transaction logging. i.e. it kees a track of the transactions being performed on the tables.

My manager assumed I meant that this scenario was possible:

Suppose half way through Friday morning someone ran some SQL on the database which was discovered to be incorrect some hours after they commited the transactions (and after many other modifications to the database). You could restore from backup until the night before roll forward all redo until just before the dodgy SQL, then miss out the dodgy SQL, and *roll forward all other transactions*.

If this happened then the best Oracle can do is to roll us up to the dodgy SQL. I understand that it rather depends on what the dodgy SQL is. For example if it is a dropped table then we can restore everything using a logical export of the table.

I think what he is getting at is that he wants to be able to review past transactions, perhaps have human readable redo.

Is there anything else that Oracle offers?

Thanks Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 04:08:50 CDT