Re: Which Linux OS

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 21:53:05 +0200

Gerald S. wrote:

> I have downloaded Redhat 9.0 , and am installing on a 18GB Harddrive.
> Based on the databases on the AIX server, I need about 6 GB (/db) to store
> the database files.
> Can somebody recommend a partiton scheme?
> "Gerald S." <gerald.stephens_at_NO-SPAM.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>>
>>Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
>>or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>>
>>Thanx,

/boot: 100MB
swap: 2GB
/ rest (let it fill up)

Assuming it is just an internal test server. Otherwise, you perhaps would like sizing control and separate pertitions for:
/boot (see above)
swap (see above)

/usr (4GB)
/home (512M)
/var (512M)
/  (4GB)
/oracle (or /db - what you like: the rest, approx 10GB)

Problem with the lower is, once it's full, it's full. That's also the (security) advantage...
(add /chroot, etc, etc)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel