Re: Hot Backup and Recovery - When to switch log files.

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 02:21:35 GMT

Joel Garry wrote:
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40a4692d$0$8988$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
>

>>Paul Drake wrote:
>>
>>>Howard,
>>>
>>>way off topic and not central to this thread, but ... in newer
>>>versions where oracle can add a datafile to a tablespace in the
>>>db_file_create_dest at will, do you want to count on a backup
>>>controlfile from 400 days ago?
>>
>>Er, of course not. Firstly, OMF is the invention of the devil, and I

> Bill Gates is inventing for Oracle? :-)

>>I can't tell whether there's irony there or not. Backup and recovery is
>>*infinitely* more important than clustering factors (as the clustering
>>factor paper points out!). Which is why 'shrug the should' can't do any
>>harm backup stuff is worrying to me.
>>

>>>myths are worth busting, even if egos are bruised in the process.
>>>I would expect nothing less from you, I think that you've only blasted
>>>me once before.
>>
>>That wasn't a blast at *you*. That was a blast at the guy who says
>>'rebuild all indexes because I've got nothing better to do and it
>>doesn't do any harm' as well as the guy who says 'I'd throw in a log
>>switch there because even if it's not needed, it can't do any harm'.

> I kind of got the idea that was why 9i added the extra log switch. As
> well, I'm not convinced anyone undestands why it takes so long, for no
> apparent reason, to update v$archived_log sometimes. If you can't
> _consistently_ replicate it or understand why it happens, you can't
> fix it, but that doesn't mean you can ignore it. There have been a
> number of bugs filed with RMAN about log switch issues, that's for
> sure. Perhaps some of the problems arise from the OS not being
> entirely truthful towards Oracle about what is happening with files.
> sync;sync;sync and all that.
>

>>It was, in short, a blast at anyone who seems to casually accept not
>>knowing, but manifests a touching faith in it all being OK in the end
>>anyway.

> Yeah, I feel that way too, but among a "highly productive" workforce,
> understanding often takes a back seat to getting it done.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.case.edu/news/2004/4-04/keg.htm

At the risk of being completely obnoxious (no, not Obnoxio the Clown -- I can't believe I had to google it to find out he was an X-Men villain, and also coincidentally an Informix newsgroup poster ...)

I don't use binary controlfile backups for incomplete recovery.

CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "MY_DB" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG [...] I do eventually get it to work... sorry! ;-) And it's portable!

What can I say, it's been a long work week ... and as long as I'm at it, I appreciate a sig that is different and enlightening every time! "It's always easier to move forward with an idea with $20,000," indeed!

--Mark Bole Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 21:21:35 CDT