Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 21:08:32 -0700

Jeff Rodriguez wrote:

> _Short Summary_
>
> *PostgreSQL*
> Free, loaded with features, not particularly fast, some extras
>
> *MySQL*
> Free, not so loaded with features, very fast, some extras
>
> *SQL Server*
> /Definetly/ not free, jam packed with features, very fast, lots of extras
>
> *Sybase and Oracle*
> Can't say, I have no experience with them.
>

> _Answer to your question_
> Suitable for a high-end commercial application? I'm not sure I would
> risk my job on it...

Interesting list ... Speed and extras. Not one would be on my list of most important considerations. How about rating them on:

  1. Security
  2. Stability
  3. Scalability
If it isn't secure who cares how fast it is?
If it isn't stable who cares how many features it has?
If it won't scale to the number of users who gives a rip about extras?

And, to be quite blunt, if the only operating system it will run on is Windows that becomes a limitation affecting all of the above. Any time you database server is at risk from every 16 year old on the planet. It can't really be called secure or stable.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu