Re: problem with listner on a box with 10g and 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:54:43 +0200

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:39:00 -0400, "Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote:

>Here is my question. I have two oracle homes. One for the 9i database and
>one for the 9i developer suite. I can see this in the registry. I have 10g
>installed in another path. However, I do not see a home2(only home0 and
>home1) in the registry. Shouldn't a third oracle home have been created when
>I installed 10g?

Likely you have installed 10g in one of the other existing homes. Which is where you screwed up.

>The proper way to set an ORACLE_HOME in windows is to:
>
>1. regedit
>2. hkey_local_machine/software/oracle
>-- I can set the ORACLE_HOME at the top level.

You shouldn't do so, you are screwing things up. There is an Oracle Home selector utility to manipulate this variable.
>-- I can also drill down to: oracle_homes\oracle0\<oracle_home>
>
>I assume I set it in both locations right? Anywhere else?

You should leave it alone, and avoid screwing up the registry. The correct Oracle Home is determined from the oracle.key file in %ORACLE_HOME%\bin
Likely, right now, after screwing up your system, you are going to need to reinstall everything.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA