Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:45:12 -0700

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message
>

>>I assure you that if it was vulerable it would have happened. Larry put

> out
>
>>the Unbeakable challange in 8i (years ago) and of course attracted a lot

> of
>
>>hackers.  Nothing came of it and it has been years.  As I said before, it

> is
>
>>a matter of what the vendor thinks is important.  MS doesn't think its
>>important.

> I would agree that nothing on the order of slammer has come of it.
>
> But I wouldn't say "nothing" either. A quick scan of google can find
> article relating to security flaws found in 8i and 9i.

Every piece of software ever written has flaws. But just like stability, security, and scalability ... there are no absolutes ... only shades of gray.

We all make decisions every day as to how much risk we can tolerate. Hopefully good ones. But we can not make informed decisions based on marketing hyperbole and product-religious fervour.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu