Re: HELP:IMP-00058 & ORA-01033

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:17:52 +1000

LC wrote:

> hi, guys,
> I really need ur guidance.I just installed oracle db in my backup
> server(os is linux) and intent to import an .dmp file to it. I had
> created tablespace, datafiles, users( inclide abc).
>
> Then, i wanna to export an dmp file named test.dmp.so, here is my
> command:
> [root_at_icemsdb root]# su - oracle
> bash-2.05$
> bash-2.05$ imp fromuser=abc touser=abc file=test.dmp
>
> Import: Release 9.2.0.2.0 - Production on Tue May 18 15:10:08 2004
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Username: system
> Password:
>
> IMP-00058: ORACLE error 1033 encountered
> ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progressUsername:
>
> what's wrong? Pls help me .

What's wrong is, er, that a shutdown or startup is in progress. Only SYS can connect to a database that is undergoing those activities.

The other thing that is more likely to be wrong, I would have thought, is that merely su'ing as the oracle user might not be good enough to ensure the session is picking up the correct environment variable setting for ORACLE_SID. It is possible the thing is therefore attempting to connect to completely the wrong instance.

Even if su'ing is OK for picking up that setting, you might want to check what it is actually set to before attempting the import.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 20:17:52 CDT