Is there any harm in setting very large db_cache_size even when buffer hit ration does not increase?

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2004 18:39:21 -0700

I have sevel GB's of memory on my HP UNIX server. My buffer hit ration is low (50%). I have increased db_cache_size (Oracle9i) gradually. I have not seen increase in hit ration all that much. My question, is there any harm in increasing db_block_size so it uses 1Gb or more of memory (which is avaiable to Oracle database instance) without causing any impact on other applications on that sever. Actaully, my server is mainly a database oracle server. There are a few application scripts which run in the night for a few minutes.

I would think more memory I use by increasing db_cache_size will help the performance even if hit ratio is not increasing all that much (i.e. it is 55% instead of 95%.

Prem Received on Thu May 20 2004 - 20:39:21 CDT