Re: Minimalist ORACLE Installation

From: Sarah Tanembaum <sarah.tanembaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 19:54:44 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1084942855.500030_at_yasure...
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>
> > Hi, I was wondering if anyone know what's is the requirement for
installing
> > Oracle database for Solaris x86?
> >
> > I would need all the features except that I just need a very small
initial
> > database.
> >
> > Some of my colleaque to look into the opensource database such as MySQL
> > and/or PostgreSQL since they are easy to install and require virtually
very
> > little resources as compare to MS SQL*Server, Sybase, DB2, and
especially
> > Oracle. Is it true?
> >
> > The reason is that I have a limited diskspace and memory.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> http://docs.oracle.com for all installation documentation.
>
> Makes no sense to me. Do they have a smaller footprint? Of course.
> Do they have far less functionality? Of course? Can they be safely
> restored from a crash? Not likely.
>
> But I currently run Oracle Enterprise Edition 9.2.0.4 and 10g on a
> 500 MHz Pentium III with 512MB RAM and have no problem opening and
> using JDeveloper, or Oracle Forms 6i or 9i or Oracle Reports 6i or
> 9i and ERwin or SQL Navigator all at the same time. I have 11.25GB
> of disk and also have on the machine W2K, Microsoft Word, Excel,
> PowerPoint and Front Page, DreamWeaver, Netscape, WinEdit, SideKick,
> WSFTP, and a few dozen other utilities including a copy of the old
> XTreePro.
>
> Does your machine have less resources than this?
>
> And, BTW, performance is more than adequate except when loading
> JDeveloper which is a bit slow.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Hi Daniel, for now, I'm not really concern about redundancy such as snapshot, live backup, etc, etc. What I'd like to have is a full functioning Oracle Database with minimal resources - (128MB RAM, 2GB Disk) but has all its features such as full SQL*92 features, Strored Procedures ...etc. Thanks Received on Fri May 21 2004 - 18:54:44 CDT