Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 01:36:47 +1000

Joel Garry wrote:

> The problem is the applications software is not a small
> interchangeable thing. I know of a company that is running on some
> old VMS stuff that was heavily customized. Their HQ on another

You know of ONE company where it does not apply. Abnormal case that by no means defines an industry.

> A balance must be maintained between the wheel and the dead hamster.
> Simply not upgrading is a false economy, since it loses the effect of
> getting major enhancements with the development costs amortized among
> many other customers. Eventually you are in a deep hole and have to

If you DO need the new features, then upgrade. If you don't, stay where you are. In what way does having the entire source code for everything and the kitchen sink help you there?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto