Re: Remote DB monitoring

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:06:35 GMT

Joel Garry wrote:

> "ruben" <ma.leira_at_eresmas.net> wrote in message news:<rZIlc.152566$Rc.4308511_at_news-reader.eresmas.com>...
> > Hi, i want to monitoring a data base oracle 8.1.6.3.0 throw an internet
> > connection. Exists any aplication or tool to make this tarea?
> >
> > thanks
>
> A real simple-minded way is to get some VPN software and put
> PC-Anywhere on your PC near the database. Slow and PITA, but it does
> work.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&e=1&u=/ap/20040504/ap_on_hi_te/linux_desktop

While PCAnywhere is "mostly" good, I like free better... why not use VPN and if on WNT2000 (and later) with Remote Desktop Connection... it is free... for the first 2 terminal services connections which may be more than sufficient.

And this will, of course, depend a lot on the backend server - Linux, UNIX, OpenVMS, and WNTxxxx and your network connections. As a consultant, I tend to use email functions to notify me via text messages (mobile phone and/or pager) when things go wrong at remote client sites. No, it is not completely reliable, but for good enough in most cases.

Michael Austin
http://www.firstdbasource.com Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 11:06:35 CDT