Re: Monitoring a Managed Standby

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 May 2004 16:01:08 -0700

rspeaker_at_yahoo.com (Roy) wrote in message news:<498db9a0.0405260727.3526bdea_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> was wondering if anyone has any tested/proven scripts for monitoring a
> managed standby database on AIX? I'm running 8.1.7.4, with the
> primary & standby in separate geographic locations. I've developed a
> few scripts of my own to monitor various aspects of the standby log
> propogation & apply process, but each one seems to lead to another
> undiscovered / undetected issue, which if not caught in time forces me
> to rebuild the standby. Need scripts to make sure the logs are being
> created at the remote location (it's an optional destination so as not
> to hang up my primary), to make sure they are getting applied okay,
> and to cleanup the logs but only after they've been applied. Any help
> is appreciated.

After 3 times in 3 months having some network glitch affect the production db (once requiring a resetlogs to get past!) my customer decided to have me automate the old manual way. The init may _say_ "service=xxxx optional reopen=60", but it doesn't necessarily mean it, there's some basic design flaw in the RCS stuff IMO. I wouldn't even bother with managed until a later 9i, unless you have very understanding management or an unusually good network.

No matter what, manual expertise is still necessary with standby. You might want to grep the alert log for the last Log Compoleted

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=233425.1 for dataguard issues.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.