Re: 2GB limit for SGAs

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 May 2004 07:09:05 -0700

Stephan Bressler <sbresslerx_no_spam_at_arcor.de> wrote in message news:<c96olq$eg2$1_at_news.mch.sbs.de>...
> Hi,
>
> comments inline.
>
> Stephan
> > Could you show us the output of
> >
> > ipcs -b (if multiple instances running, let us know)
> > sysdef | grep -i shm
> > pmap -x <pmon pid> | grep shmid
> > nm $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle | grep sgabeg
> Hi,
> no, the test DB is gone. But whether there is 1 or more shm segments is
> up to the setting of SHMMAX kernel parameter. If this is higher than the
> size of the sga, oracle uses 1 shm segment, otherwise more.
> Multiple segments are no problem (in my experience) at all, at most a
> little bit ugly.

Do you still have that Solaris box and its Oracle software installation? If so, please tell us the oracle sgabeg value and grep shm /etc/system. What I'm interested in is whether my earlier writing on 32-bit Oracle
(http://rootshell.be/~yong321/computer/sgabegbug.txt) is correct:

If shmmax < SGA, you can always startup Oracle even with SGA > 1.75GB; but if
shmmax > SGA, the one segment rule will be enforced and therefore you can't
have an SGA > 1.75GB unless you relocate sgabeg.

Yong Huang Received on Fri May 28 2004 - 09:09:05 CDT