Re: fragmentation issues

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 18:11:30 +1000

Dave allegedly said,on 29/05/2004 5:57 PM:

> "yls177" <yls177_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>1) using locally managed tablespaces with uniform extent sizes means >>that it is physically impossible to have fragmentation.

Aye! Is this a myth-in-forming or what? LMT does NOT "make it impossible to have fragmentation". It just makes fragmentation unimportant. But it's still possible to have portions of your objects all over the tablespace in multiple "chunks" (previously called "extents"). That was the "classic" definition of "fragmentation".

BTW, just got abused by the local "guru" at my current project for *daring* to suggest they should worry with other problems and leave "fragmentation" and "having it all in one extent" alone.

Of course the small detail that we're running 9ir2 with LMT went completely unnoticed. Thank God!... ;)

>>(1) is very clearcut... but my conerns are with (2) since right now, i
>>have huge databases around 1.5GB that are on DMT. My thoughts are that

> 1.5GB = Huge?

I reckon it's very clearcut....
:D

--