Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 22:32:39 -0600

> > But for how much longer ... I wonder?
> >
> > I am watching the huge inroads being made by clustered Linux taking out
> > Sun's and H/P's more expensive offerings. I built an 8 CPU cluster a few
> > weeks back with less than $11,000 US in hardware.
> >
> > How long before it becomes easy to build OS/390 equivalent machines
> > with a rack of 2 CPU x 4GB Intel boxes running RedHat AS?
> >
> > I suspect far sooner than you want to imagine.
> >
> > And when the big iron goes ... do you think DB2 will survive? Informix,
> > in my opinion, has a better chance of surviving.

Big iron is not as big, nor as expensive, as it once was. The actual hardware boundaries between mainframe and smaller computers are starting to disappear. The biggest cost of a mainframe is the software, and OS/390 and z/OS are still formidable products for certain applications in large enterprises. Received on Sat May 29 2004 - 23:32:39 CDT