Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 30 May 2004 12:21:05 -0500

On Sun, 30 May 2004, wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam wrote:
> Galen Boyer allegedly said,on my timestamp of 30/05/2004 1:05
> PM:

>>>Dream on...
>> ?

> Apologies if this sounds patronizing. It is not intended that
> way.
>
> Galen, my cyber-friend (and I sincerely hope some day a real
> friend in front of a drink - if you drink):

That I truly look forward to Noons. Cyber friend indeed.

> do not confuse a bunch of websites with *kewl* names like
> "mssux.com" or "openrulz.org" and other idiotic childish
> gibberish with a thriving industry. The last four years of IT
> worldwide have basically shown that mob what reality is all
> about. And it is NOT about "kewlness", "tinkering" or anything
> of the sort. It's about $$$$$. Mooolah. Value. Profit.
> Nothing else. The "internet business model" is basically dead,
> apart from a few leftovers.

I just plain disagree. The "internet is going to take over the world" is completely over. Internet applications that make money for real corporatiosn are just another avenue for profit for companies with something to sell. These applications are using open-source components. I'm working on one right now, and my last 11 month contract was working on one. I get job offers to work on them. They aren't taking over the world, but they are certainly out there and are "business critical" to use a term your points in this thread would like. I would venture a guess that most new applications are less written as C++ front-ends and much more with browser front-ends.

--
Galen Boyer