Re: Index management

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 17:49:54 +1000

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Richard Foote wrote:
>

>> "DiggidyMack69" <DiggidyMack69_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Are there supplied scripts, packages, or procedures that will find and
>>> rebuild existing index's?  What I am really looking for is a script to
>>> be run to rebuild fragmented index's as needed.
>>

>> Go to the download section at www.actoug.org.au, make what you can of the
>> PowerPoint presentation, wait for the accompanying whitepaper/book,
>> read it
>> carefully too and hopefully you'll get the picture.

> Is there an emoticon for a big, BIG, BIIIIIIGGGG beaming smiley face.
>
> After having read the first slides containing the delicious quotes from
> Herr Burleson und seiner freunde, I had to go and bake a doughnut.
>
> After that I had indigestion with your 50-50 leaf block claim. Jonathan
> claims it's 50-50 *on average*, but not by volume, I think. Interesting.
>
> However: I just wanna know why that Sharman guy gets all the invites and
> I don't :-((
>
> Regards
> HJR
Actually, upon reflection, I think you've been a tad unfair with those "experts" quotes in your presentation: where are the Oracle Corporation quotes that suggest you should rebuild when del_lf_rows/lf_rows exceeds 15/20/25/30 percent?? Where is the recognition of the fact that Oracle's OCP training courses have been pushing regular index rebuilds for yonks??

But really, it is quite an eye-opener to realise just how much rubbish the ultimate self-proclaimed experts can spew forth... and be believed for so long.

And (here's the sad part) still are.

OK... small bet. I bet that within one month, someone will post here about the best way of determining which indexes need to be rebuilt.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat May 01 2004 - 02:49:54 CDT