Re: Index management

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:26:44 GMT

> > Thanks for providing that. I now know that your clustering factor is the
> > same as Oracle's definition, since you are using the CLUSTERING_FACTOR
> > column of DBA_INDEXES. And I now fully understand your ratio you have
> > been talking about.
>
> And that's it? That's all you have to *say* about this ratio that you
> now fully understand?
>
> Would you not care to elaborate just a little on how this ratio behaves
> after an index rebuild?

All I said was that I understood his ratio and how it was computed. I guess I shouldn't have used the word "fully". But I now know how Mike computed it. I never said anything about how this ratio behaves after an index rebuild. And if you've read my other posts in this thread, you'll see that I agreed with you on the clustering factor not changing. And since the number of blocks in the table doesn't change, it should be a logical conclusion that I do understand that this ratio *does not* change after an index rebuild. If you are looking for more, then you'll have to ask Mike. All I said was that I now understood how Mike calculated his ratio...

Cheers,
Brian

--

Brian Peasland