Re: Which Linux OS

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:56:40 GMT

Gerald S. wrote:
> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>
> Thanx,

I've done 8.1.7 on RH 7.3 and SuSE 7.3, and 9.2.0 on RH9 and SuSE 7.3 and 9.0 pro. Both distros installed oracle nicely, with the SuSE getting a slight nod for having a lot of the legwork aready done insofar as oracle user and group already set up and the slick orarun.rpm's

Having said that 9.2 runs nicely on my RH 9 box, whereas the SuSE 9 box seems to freeze inexplicably while I have Oracle running on it, an issue that I unforunatly haven't had time to delve into to yet... Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 09:56:40 CDT