Re: OMLETv4 The Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:11:46 -0500

On 26 May 2004 03:19:27 -0700, amjadd_at_uop.edu.jo (omlet v4) wrote:

>Dear DBA,
>
>You are cordially invited to test and review our windows native and
>100% pure Java Oracle 9i/8i Monitoring Application (OMLET). OMLET is
>the The Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool. As the
>leading expert in your field, your opinion is highly valued and your
>feedback is ver appreciated. We would like to encourage you to distribute
>copies of OMLET to your associates and fellow DBAs. Omlet can be
>downloaded from:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/teraknowledgesystems/download.html
>
>or any of many mirrors worldwide:
>
>http://www.google.com/search?q=omlet+oracle
>
>Thank you for your time and participation.
>

>Cheers,
>
>Amjad Daoud, OCP
>The OMLET Team Lead
>Tera Knowledge Systems, Inc.

Posting only to the ng where I read this . . . .

I think I'll take a pass on this.

First, I doubt a viable product, backed by a viable company, would be marketing itself from a Geocities account.

Second, if the product is as amaturish as the web page, I'd expect it to be more trouble than it is worth.

Third, there are many indications that the product is indeed that amaturish. To wit:

  1. In spite of the fact that it claims to 'discover' my databases from my TNSNAMES file, it asks me to copy that file to a product specific directory. That, then, is not my TNSNAMES but yours. Why can't you find TNSNAMES the same place SQLNET finds it?
  2. "Make sure that your services are in the following format . . ." What if *my* TNSNAMES is not or can't be in that format? Or what if I'm not using TNSNAMES at all? Too bad.
  3. "Make sure your screen resolution is at least 1024x768" - Sorry, I can't read my screen at that resolution. Not many people over the age of 40 can.
  4. "Set the following three init.ora parameters to: cursor_sharing = force . . . " HONK! Wrong answer! If I do that, my acess plans change, quite possibly for the worse.

I don't consider myself an expert in this field, so if even I could find problems without even opening the product . . . Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 09:11:46 CDT