Re: OMLETv4 The Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool

From: omlet v4 <amjadd_at_uop.edu.jo>
Date: 29 May 2004 06:45:28 -0700

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<4269b012v3vns4nputqbo4g5sm8pskrhnl_at_4ax.com>...
> On 26 May 2004 03:19:27 -0700, amjadd_at_uop.edu.jo (omlet v4) wrote:
>
> >Dear DBA,
> >
> >You are cordially invited to test and review our windows native and
> >100% pure Java Oracle 9i/8i Monitoring Application (OMLET). OMLET is
> >the The Ultimate Visual Real Time Oracle Monitoring Tool. As the
> >leading expert in your field, your opinion is highly valued and your
> >feedback is ver appreciated. We would like to encourage you to distribute
> >copies of OMLET to your associates and fellow DBAs. Omlet can be
> >downloaded from:
> >
> >http://www.geocities.com/teraknowledgesystems/download.html
> >
> >or any of many mirrors worldwide:
> >
> >http://www.google.com/search?q=omlet+oracle
> >
> >Thank you for your time and participation.
> >

> >Cheers,
> >
> >Amjad Daoud, OCP
> >The OMLET Team Lead
> >Tera Knowledge Systems, Inc.
>

> Posting only to the ng where I read this . . . .
>
> I think I'll take a pass on this.
>
> First, I doubt a viable product, backed by a viable company, would be
> marketing itself from a Geocities account.
>
> Second, if the product is as amaturish as the web page, I'd expect it
> to be more trouble than it is worth.
>
> Third, there are many indications that the product is indeed that
> amaturish. To wit:
>
> 1) In spite of the fact that it claims to 'discover' my databases from
> my TNSNAMES file, it asks me to copy that file to a product specific
> directory. That, then, is not my TNSNAMES but yours. Why can't you
> find TNSNAMES the same place SQLNET finds it?
>
> 2) "Make sure that your services are in the following format . . ."
> What if *my* TNSNAMES is not or can't be in that format? Or what if
> I'm not using TNSNAMES at all? Too bad.
>
> 3) "Make sure your screen resolution is at least 1024x768" - Sorry, I
> can't read my screen at that resolution. Not many people over the age
> of 40 can.
>
> 4) "Set the following three init.ora parameters to: cursor_sharing =
> force . . . " HONK! Wrong answer! If I do that, my acess plans
> change, quite possibly for the worse.
>

> I don't consider myself an expert in this field, so if even I could
> find problems without even opening the product . . .

Ed,

I doubt you know anything about cursor_sharing or access plans. Anyhow, your second point about TNSNAMES clears your level of expertise. The software is open source and anything you don't like you can change. I doubt you know anything about SQLNET to claim your first point either.

What if you don't have tnsnames.ora file, then you cannot connect with jdbc. OMLET is 100% java and does not access your machine registry. If you know other ways, please share!?

Why copy tnsnames.ora? simply so you would not have to give OMLET any permissions to your Oracle installation directory or network subdirectory. Actually you can place the file anywhere since there is a FileChooser that you can use to browse.

You cannot see 1024X768? then you probably have more problems and I am truely sorry for you. Java2D with antialiasing features are best at this resolution.
Compare OMLET to Quest Spotlight and you would see the difference!

Anyway, most DBA's who use scripts, usually hurt their database; cursor sharing reduces overhead when accessing v$sysstat and v$filestat which most tuning script queries select from. I doubt you had any idea about this! do you? I thought so.

Compare OMLET overhead to any other monitoing software including OEM and you would be shocked! Did I forget to mention I am a ex-Oracle kernel/Server Technology employee!?

Finally, the geocities issue. Actually providing something for free is a huge liability. The site bandwidth is constantly consumed. Tell me about a reliable
connection with unlimited bandwidth and you got my bussiness. Actually you can
mirror the OMLET product if you have the space and bandwidth.

cheers,
Amjad daoud

Amjad Daoud Received on Sat May 29 2004 - 08:45:28 CDT